Sunday, February 17, 2008

Feeling The Need To "Nest" Today!













Well, don't ask me why, but for some reason I REALLY wanted to do something for baby Rebekah today. I went in the nursery and was looking at her stuff and all of her little blankets and clothes and I just wanted to do SOMETHING. I pulled out some fabric that I had in the closet and started to sew her a little quilted blanket. Now you have to realize, I have NO idea how to make a quilt and am just a beginner when it comes to using the sewing machine at all. I had made her a taggy blanket many moons ago and then not touched the sewing machine at all until today. I got started cutting out some 4 inch squares from all kinds of fabric and then sewing 8 in a row. This is what I have so far, a quilt top with 64 squares. I can't believe that I had a BALL! Now I want to go get the quilt batting, a ruffled edge, and a backing and finish it! If this turns out pretty good, I might try to make a larger one. It was VERY relaxing! I felt just like a mommy bird making a nest for her baby! I wonder if this is a sign that things might be speeding up? You know........a mother's instinct and all that jazz???????? Anyhow, it was fun and since I had everything else done around the house, and it was a dreary day outside, I really just enjoyed myself a LOT! What a surprise! It also reminded me of when I was little and my Great Grandma made a quilt every time a baby was born into the family. I was sitting there sewing this little quilt for Rebekah and thinking about MY quilt and wishing that I had taken better care of it and saved it. I thought of all the time and effort that "GranGranny" must have put into those quilts and hers were WAY more complicated than mine. She actually made the patterned blocks and then sewed the blocks together. WOW, talk about talent! Maybe I got a little bit of that "quilting" blood from her! At least I'd like to think so! I'll keep you updated when I finish the quilt and let everyone see the finished product.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan, The quilt is so beatiful... You have a knack for sewing girlfriend... Rebekah will love the quilt... I am so glad you are nesting... This is a good sign... you will have Rebekah soon... and then in your SPARE time can you make Lily and Lucy a quilt just like that??? We would love it!!
We love you guys- have a great week and get to work our quilts, PLEASE-
love-
deb and russ

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Very impressive... wish I could sew like that... take care...

Bobby and Regina said...

I think you did a great job!! Rebekah will love it!
Blessings,
Regina

Dawn Shelton said...

Lovely!! I learned to quilt making the 100 wishes quilt, and I agree, it is so fun and therapeutic! You work fast!