Thursday, November 01, 2007

Hallmark Ornament For This Year & "Big Girl Panties"



Today Doug and I drove down to Burlington, NC and ended up stopping by the Hallmark Store. We have a tradition that every year we buy a Hallmark ornament to add to our Christmas tree. Well this year it was Doug's turn to pick it out and when he saw this one, he knew we had to add it to our collection. This year they have ornaments from different countries and one of those countries is China. It comes with two ornaments: one is a little pagoda and one is the little Chinese girl. Gosh, I hope this will be the last holiday season without Baby Bekah. I'm serious.......this wait is just ridiculous and heartbreaking and just plain out NOT fair! Yes, I'm a little emotional tonight.........why do other people get to just pop out babies and then people who want a child to love more than life itself have to wait at the mercy of others who drag out a process that was supposed to be just 6 months???????????? On November 5, 2007 we will have been logged in to the CCAA for 19 MONTHS! That doesn't even include the 12 months before that that we filled out paperwork, authenticated forms, notarized forms, had a homestudy done by a social worker that dragged a 6 week process into 23 weeks, medical exams, immunizations, etc. It doesn't include the 2 and 1/2 years we worked with the public system to try to adopt a baby only to be overlooked time after time because we didn't have any children and were not "experienced" parents.
Oh boy.......I didn't mean to go off on tangent like that in a simple posting about a Hallmark ornament, and I've thought about backspacing and deleting it all, but it's truly how I'm feeling tonight. I love the ornament and it will look so precious on our tree this year, but I would give it all up to just hold our baby this year. THAT'S what I want most of all.......to hold our baby and be done with this whole arduous, heartbreaking, process. The other week I was talking to a dear online friend (who shares the same LID) and we were laughing at how obsessed we've become over things like ladybugs, pandas, 100 wishes quilts, etc. etc. and what it all boils down to is these are the things we have right now to focus on while we wait all of this out. Thank goodness we have met people along the way who try to encourage us, uplift us, and share in our pain, but sometimes when you sit and think too long about the pain of the wait, you can't help but feel a little down and the tears come whether you want them too or not. There's nothing else you can do. You can't MAKE the CCAA speed up, you can't fill out another form, or contact a government official, or even pay any amount of money to make your place in the proverbial "LID line" speed up. And I think that's the worst part.........you can't do anything but hang in there, suck it up, and pray pray pray that your turn will come before you lose your mind. In Cracker Barrel today there was a card that said, "Put your big girl panties on and face it." THAT'S my theme now........Please pray that things move along quicker! Oh, and enjoy the pictures of the ornament! hahahahahahahahaha

8 comments:

Unknown said...

havin to explain to people is hard! I love the ornament. There is another one there I want as well!!!

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Hey there... so nice to talk to you just a minute ago... thanks again for the birthday card...

Anonymous said...

Oh, Susan, when I saw that referrals came out again, you're the first one I thought of. I can't imagine how brutal this wait is for you.

=) Courtney Atnip
I love the ornament . .I'll have to make a trip to Hallmark myself!

Kathryn said...

I really do hope this wait speeds up!!!! It is terribly hard to go through this. Hang in there.
I love the ornament!!!
Kathryn:)

Carol said...

Praying for a speed up...that baby needs you!!!!

I hope we see a change now that November is done.........

Unknown said...

I completely understand your feelings. We are LID 8/9/2006 and darn if this isn't so hard. I love sharing inside the adoption community. It's very hard to get people to understand and there are too many why's and of course some really weird comments too.

I pray for a major speed up for us all.

Irene
In Maine

Tina Cone Tarbox said...

Dear Susan,

Hi, it's Tina from "Mei-Ling's Gotcha Day" video on YouTube.

I wanted to drop in and lend you some words of encouragement. Mei-Ling was my first child. I had many of the same feelings and thoughts as you after going through some of the things we did on the path to parenthood.

What I want you to know is that I have no doubt that as soon as you have your baby in your arms, all those feelings will just melt away. You will know for sure that this was the path you were meant to follow and that the wait was well worth it.

I met Mei-Ling just a few days before my 38th birthday. Though the wait was tough and the path was bumpy at times, I now realize that it was all in place to bring me to the daughter I was supposed to be with. And I have never once had any regrets.

I am so sorry your wait has been a long one, and I wish you peace and comfort as you continue waiting. Know that a whole lot of joy awaits you.

I cannot wait to see YOUR Gotcha Day video soon.

Much love,

Tina T - missmei-ling.blogspot.com

AmyO said...

What a cute ornament! I might have to search for it :) I know the wait is hard...your baby will be here before you know it ;)