Sunday, June 28, 2009

Putting Together Baby's Care Package

Well, I was looking through some papers that I had filed away years ago when we first found out that this wait for our baby was going to drag on. We just couldn't bring ourselves to read that stuff when it was so far away from happening. One of the things I read was a note that our China coordinator in California had written about once we get our referral, we can send a care package to our baby through her. She would actually get some goodies from Mommy and Daddy before we travel to pick her up. Here are some things that we are thinking about putting in the care package (nothing is definite and I'm hoping to get some more ideas from veteran adoptive parents). These were some of the suggestions of things we could include:
1. A small blanket that we launder with our washing detergent or sleep with before sending (so the baby is familiar with our "scent". This may help her transition to us a little smoother.
2. A small photo album with pictures of us, our pets, our home, her bed, her room, etc. This may help her to know our faces when she sees us.
3. A small toy/doll
4. A disposable camera with a note asking the nannies to please take pictures of her at the orphanage (to be included in her Lifebook that explains her early years before she joined our family).
5. Soft pajamas for her to wear (also laundered in our detergent/fabric softener).
We thought that maybe we could start putting together this care package now, to give us something to focus on and to keep our spirits up as we continue to wait. Oh I hope we get her soon!!!!!!!!! (As I get more suggestions online, I will add them here even though we might not include them all in the actual care package).

4 comments:

Polar Bear said...

I have many lists filed away too that I just didn't want to deal with any more.

Just yesterday I started thinking about the care package. I like the idea of soft pajamas. I am going to have to add that to my list - when I find them. :o)

Robert and Linda said...

Hi Susan.

I've been following your blog for a long time (we're with the same agency) and I am getting so excited for you!!!! I can't wait!!!

When we put our care package together for Bruce we sent 2 disposable cameras and we were lucky because the orphanage filled up both rolls for us. Someone had mentioned to us that sending 2 would almost be like insurance in the event one of the disposable cameras was damaged during shipping to China.

Take care and I can't wait!!!

Linda

Debbie said...

Susan,
We sent a care package to Darci's orphanage, even though she was in foster care. We sent 2 disposable cameras, 1 picture book, a blanket, a soft stuff animal blanket thingy, snacks for the foster family and snacks for Darci. They got the box and we got only the camera back. I think one camera is broke and the other one seems to have all 27 exposures used. We have not taken them to be developed since we have been so busy. Keep an eye on my blog, I plan to write a post about what to bring and what not to bring and hopefully help those of you who are on the verge of traveling. It will happen and your little one will be in your arms before you know it!!

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

I am going to do ours through our agency...